July 6th 2012
Magnetic Island prepares its new Community Roadmap
Peter Kenyon, who worked with the Magnetic Island community in 2001 to prepare the Island’s first community and business action plan returns tomorrow, Saturday 7th July, to again work with the community and businesses to revisit and prepare a new plan.
This time Peter is accompanied by his accomplished 21 year old daughter Ali, who will be working specifically with the Island’s young people to identify and tease out their ideas and aspirations.
The Magnetic Island Community Development Association (MICDA) has identified some key aspects of Island life which they are asking Peter to advise on.
MICDA President, Lorna Hempstead AM, listed these key aspects as including:
* How to maintain in perpetuity the electricity consumption reductions that residents and businesses have achieved, when we no longer have a Solar Cities programme prompting us?
* What do young people want to make Magnetic a vibrant place for them? What is most important to current residents and business operators and what Island life priorities have changed in the last decade? (And what remains the same?)
* What do our community clubs and associations need to function effectively?
* What are your Island ideas and aspirations that residents of all ages would like to share?
There will be many opportunities for family or business participation
Locals interested in meeting Peter can find him at:
* A Community Development Association Members and families BBQ at Nelly Bay on Saturday 7th from 4.30pm to 6.30pm.
* Horseshoe Bay Markets Sunday 8th July 9am–12noon at the MICDA stall (seats provided!)
Peter will be meeting representatives from clubs and associations on Sunday afternoon.
On Monday 9th at 10am he will be at the RSL meeting with members of U3A then on Tuesday 10 July, mums (& dads) and bubs are invited to come along to Alma Bay from 9.30am – 10.30am. Following, Peter will be meeting older residents at Community Care in Horseshoe Bay.
Primary aged Children and especially grades 6 & 7 (and parents) are invited on Tuesday 10h July at 2.45pm onwards and primary children who are at school on the mainland are invited to join from the 3.45pm ferry (Note this is the 2nd day of the new term) Venue details below.
High School / Teenagers
* are invited on Wednesday 11th July from 4.15pm (off the School ferry).
* Parents of high school students are also most welcome and, if you are working, stop by from the 5.20pm (ex Breakwater) ferry as we would like your participation too.
VENUE FOR BOTH STUDENT MEETINGS: PIZZA TONITE at Nelly Bay (next to Foodworks/Pharmacy) & yes, free pizza will be served to all participants!
Individuals or groups wishing to meet with Peter outside these times please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message with a return phone number on 4758 1125.
It was just over 10 years ago when residents and business worked with community revitalisation specialist, Peter Kenyon, to develop the first Community and Business Action Plan for the Community of Magnetic Island which has been an excellent roadmap for the last decade and has validated many funding submissions.
This initiative is supported by Ergon Energy and the Solar Cities programme.
To add your comment,
or read those of others, see below